E36 Problem Areas

Hello Digesters -

I'm considering a '94 325i for purchase.  The following are some problem
areas that were mentioned by Jenny Morgan in her "Werkstatt" article in
the November *Roundel*.  It's quite an eye-opening list; makes my E28
sound like Old Reliable.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has
experienced these problems (when did it occur, $$ to fix), or has
knowledge of the frequency with which they occur.

- - failed ball joints
- - failed water pumps
- - leaking or sticky VANOS unit
- - bad ignition coils that take the ECU with them
- - failed subframe-to-body mounts
- - failed rear shock mounts
- - failing fuel pumps
- - power window problems
- - blistering door panels

Whew.  But I'll add one more item of my own: the car I'm looking at has
been in the shop a couple of times for oil leaks (replaced cam cover
gasket, tightened oil pan bolts) but is still pretty "wet" on the bottom
of the engine... and the dipstick is down near minimum.  Anyone had
problems with serious (e.g. head gasket, etc) oil leaks on the M50
engine?

thanks,
Ed Mellinger
Monterey CA