E30. Bad design! Design textbook features BMW dash!

"The Design of Everyday Things" by Norman, I think, features the E30 BMW =
dash.

The design of the fader wheel on the dash was critisized for being a bad =
design on the grounds that it was unclear whether moving it to the right =
would fade to the front or the rear.  I guess a wheel that went up and =
down may be more intuitive or something or maybe an altogether different =
design.

Thought someone may be interested since this book is being used as a =
reference at The Ohio State University in the course on Design. =20

My girlfriend is taking the course and noticed the dash at once and =
pointed it out to me.  I own two E30s and she drives one of them.  Adding =
to her BMW credits is the fact that she managed to sort out the OBC wiring =
in my 1989 convertible yesterday afternoon.  I guess I'll just have to go =
see 'Elizabeth' with her now!

Talking of BMW dashes, did anyone notice that the car that Annette Benning =
drives into some waterbody in the preview of 'In your Dreams' was a BMW =
convertible of the E30 kind?

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 is
1989 325 iC - OBC and radio fixed.  Onto the instruments cluster!

End of bmw-digest V9 #898