Strange "plastic-like" smell from E46

I have a '99 328i that has 4200 miles on it.  The car runs fine but
since the day I bought it, it has a strange almost "plastic-like smell"
(NOT burning plastic) that eminates from somewhere under the hood
(either from or around the engine or underneath).

	It is not from the exhaust since it lingers for hours after the car is
off.  It only occurs when the car has warmed up.  It does not smell when
the car is cold.  It is NOT from the interior.  This has been driving me
nuts since it REALLY bothers my sinuses.  I admit that I do have
allergies and am especially bothered these sort of things (it doesn't
bother my wife as much -- though she admits she can smell it).

	I've mentioned it to the dealer and he said it's just the "new car"
smell and will go away after a few thousand miles.  I've even brought it
in so one of his mechanics could sniff it!  The mechanic also mentioned
the new car smell as well as cosmoline could be the culprit (he didn't
seem to really know for sure).  There was cosmoline on the exhaust which
has mostly burned off (that did smell bad - but, I believe, different
than this).  Well, the car now has 4200 miles and this smell is just as
bad as it was at 2000 miles (some of the smell -- the smell related to
the cosmoline, I believe, dissappeared around 2000 miles).

	I do understand that plastics out-gas when heated (releasing
plasticizers, etc.), carpets and leather out gas, etc. but this is
something I have never come across before.  I think it's either coming
from the plastic under the hood (like this new thermo-plastic intake) or
from just below the engine -- I'm not sure.  It eventually makes its way
into the interior.  When parked in the garage with the door closed it
stinks it up even into the next day!

	Lastly, I remember driving one or two other 328i's and although I
remember the "new car smell" and the leather I don't remember reacting
to it like this.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or know what it could be?
Is there anything further I can check?  Believe me, this sounds as
strange to you as it does me.  I love this car but it's getting to the
point where I can't drive it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim C.  ('99 328i loaded, drives nice, smells wierd)