<E-39> Nav System, BMW cell phone(s) and CBC questions

	Mike,

Thanks for the thorough analisys of the Insurance legalise babble. I
agree with your very cautious approach. You never know what these people
use for definitions, and when it comes down to it it's usually too late.
But, that's not the subject of this post and not why I am writing it.

I noticed you list in the footer of your message "'97 528i 5 speed, with
every option known to man". I am about to buy a '99 528i and I am
seriously thinking (actually, drooling to do it, sounds a lot closer to
the way I think about it) to equip it in like manner ;P. Since you
appear to have all the options I am considering (barring anything not
available in '97) I have a few questions. Particularly, on the subject
of the Nav System, BMW cell phone(s) and the CBC.

	All,

1. From your real life experience, how would you describe the Nave
System's performance? Is it worth the ~$2k compared to say Alpine or
others? I am not sure if the CD changer comes as part of a package with
the Nav System for the ~$2k, but if it does, than the Nav System really
costs "only" ~$1300,- assuming $686,- for a changer installed at the
dealer.

2. Do you have one of the BMW cell phones in your car? If so, does the
speach recognition really work, and any other comments you might have. I
am thinking about the non-removeable phone, to save money, and since I
plan to continue using my current hand held CDMA Quallcom with Caller
ID. One thing I would definitely be missing for example, is the fact
that the BMW phone is not digital CDMA and does not have the Caller ID.
I still have to double check with my local Bell Atlantic Mobile people
if they would even connect a second phone set to my already functioning
phone number, or if I would have to get another line.

3. How does the CBC work out for you? Given the dismal traction in the
winter (without the snow tires) it seems to me that the more traction
assisting machinery we get the better. Especially that it can be turned
off the rest of the year.

In my opinion the Nav System and the phones are overpriced compared to
the aftermarket competition (particularly the phone), but are very
nicely integrated into the interior. The thing I don't know is, what
kind of experiences have you had with any of those gizmos and do they
perform on a par with the amount of $$$ they cost, or at least if they
work adequately.

Would appreciate any views and opinions, no matter how biased and
unobjective.

TIA,

Chris,

'96 328is Montreal Blue, Sport Pack, 5 Speed
BMWCCA National Capital Chapter