replace axle carrier bushing?

I have a clunk coming form the rear of my =9186 e-28 with 170k miles on th=
clock.  I believe that it is the in the rear axle carrier bushing to the p=
ush
strut.  It happens when I let out the clutch to start up and every time I
shift if I do not let out the clutch gently.  It also happens if I let up =
on
the gas then step on it quickly. During dry weather the clunk is almost go=
ne
if I drive smoothly.  It most noticeable in  the rain and even more in the
snow because of traction. Almost as if the water lubricates the worn bushi=
ng.

I have ruled out the guibo and drive shaft center bearings because I had t=
relpace them a couple of years ago. I also have replaced the clutch more
recently. I was told by one source that the dogbone links from the rear ax=
le
carrier to the swing arm causes it to make the noise. So I replaced both o=
them at about a hundred bucks each.  Although the old ones were worn, the =
new
ones did not help.

When I was under the car, it looked that the bushing in the rear axle carr=
ier
to push strut was shot on the right side.  When I talked to my BMW parts m=
an,
he said he has never heard of them being replaced but could get them.

Is this something that normally wears out?  And will I have a problem
replacing the bushing without removing the rear axle carrier from the car?

Any information on the  procedure of relpacing the bushings would be
appreciated as no mention is made in the Bentlys.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

'86 528e  170K