E28 Blower Motor Identification

Oh wise men (and women):  My 1988 535i has a blower motor that sounds like a
food disposer with a wrench in it.   My local junkyard just towed in a nearly
identical car. But the gentleman says there were two such blower motors in
said vehicle and I would have to identify the one I want to see if I have a
match with the prospective donor.  Question: Is there any way to ID the
blower's maker without first removing it from the bowels of the dash?  Perhaps
using a VIN or something?

Thanks in advance,
                   Jonathan Robbins