Re: Head Gasket Leak

RE:  Head Gasket Leak, E30  (Greg Ott)

The head gasket leak on the '89 325i is not too uncommon.  There was a
factory service bulletin requiring a change of the head bolts.  The
original
head bolts were DIN grade 12.9 ( A little harder than a U.S Grade 8 bolt)=
.
These bolts were too brittle.  On my '89 325is the heads actually broke o=
ff
of =

two of the cap screws.
The replacement bolts are DIN grade 10.9 (a little softer, more ductile
bolt).
The torque specificaiton is 22 ft-lb initial torque, then tighten 90
degrees and then 90 degrees again.
I strongly recommend that you take something like a Dremel tool and make =
scribe mark on the head of each of  the new bolts.  Then, install the
bolts, torque them to 22 ft-lb. Next, take a tablet and record the clock
direction of each scribe mark.  The second torque is 90 degrees. Again,
take your tablet and record the clock direction of each scribe mark.  Aft=
er
that, ADJUST THE VALVE CLEARANCE, then warm the engine.    After the engi=
ne
has been warmed, torque the bolts the second 90 degrees.  Let the engine
cool and readjust the valves.   At the mileage you have, the valves shoul=
not require any work.
These are "Torque to Yield"  bolts and CANNOT be reused.

Good luck with it - and remember - it is not luck, it is careful work.

Kerm Achterman
BMWCCA 163753
Los Angeles