Re: New guy, have some quesitons

Keith writes:

> I just subscribed to the mailing list and just want to make sure that I
> am doing this correctly and to ask a couple of questions.  First off, I
> don't own a BMW yet.  My wife and I have our eye on a couple and will be
> purchasing one within the next 2 weeks, if I find one we like.  Don't
> want a brand new one, looking for a good used one.  I'm afraid to say it
> here, but I am first and foremost a Ford man.  I have a Mustang and Ford
> F-150 Lightning truck.  However, these vehicles only have 2 seats each,
> and we're looking for a 4 dr sedan.  Being as I'm a performance fanatic,
> we decided to buy a BMW.  Don't really like any of the American cars
> that are put out these days.

You're looking in the right direction.

> So I have my eye on a 95 540i.  It is loaded, I guess they all come that
> way, with 40,000 miles.  It appears to be immaculate, with the exeption
> of the tires.  They need replacing.  Has the V-8.  It is a 1 owner
> driven by a lady who never drove it hard.  I can get it for $19,500.
> According to the book values I have seen, this is almost $4,000 under
> the loan value.  She said she wants to buy a Suburban this week and just
> wants to get rid of it.  I drove it and it seems fine.  I don't know
> anythingabout BMW's though.  It squats in the back.  Is this normal?
> The car sits level, but the rear tires sit inside the fenderwell more
> that the front.

That's pretty much normal.  They'd drop the fenders down over the front wheels
more for aerodynamics but that'd affect your ability to turn. <subliminal>buy my
car so I can get a Suburban too</subliminal>  If you do a slight lowering of the
car <subliminal>like mine already is</subliminal> you'll find that the front's
look more like the rears.

> it's supposed to be.  The other thing is, when I drove it, I got on the
> gas a good bit to try it out, and when I shifted into 2nd (it's a 6
> speed) the rpm's went up to about 5000 and stayed there for a second
> then the cars speed picked up and caught up and the rpms went up like
> they should.  I am trying to explain this the best I can.  It felt like
> the clutch was slipping, but it also felt like the computer was
> contolling some sort of lockup, maybe similar to an automatic tranny
> converter lockup.  Like I said, I need some help here, don't know much
> about these cars.  It felt good, but like I said, with the Mustang I
> drive there is no slippage with the clutch to engine speed, and I didn't
> know if the Bimmers were designed to have some sort of traction control
> or slippage in the clutch.

Oops.  This might explain the lower than blue-book price.  There's nothing that
can slip except the clutch and the tires.  Are you sure you weren't spinning the
tires?  If they're in bad shape as you mention and the road's a little slick
they'll turn pretty well.

> Is this a technical mailing list?  I hope so, with all the questions I
> asked. I am looking for some tech help before I buy BMW.  Want to be
> armed with all the knowledge I can.  I'd hate to buy one and find out is
> was junk.  Like I said though, the history and price are looking good.
> I almost bought it today, but I won't do that blind.  Thanks for any
> help you all can give.
> Keith Fromme

This list can sometimes give excellent answers to technical questions...  It
kinda depends on how much flame traffic there is.  More flame traffic means your
message can get overlooked as folks page down.

You might want to take a look at the link I have in my sig line for another
option for a nice 4-door car.  With 343 hp and a 5-speed box it can definitely
make hauling the family more fun.
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL <- For sale: http://www.bubbaclub.com/pat/m5sale.html
'88 325is destined for ITS <- 'cause of this one