Storing Tires

I remember someone asking about this a while back.

I just came across a short note in a back issue of Autobild (No.
42/1998, 16.Oct.1998, p. 58) with some advice about storing tires.
Some of it depends on whether the tires are mounted or unmounted.

Mounted tires should be hung on tire trees or stacked horizontally one
on top of the other.  They *should not* be stored upright, on end, as
this leads to profile deformation and weight imbalances.

On the other hand, unmounted tires should be stored upright, on end,
and turned every 4-6 weeks to prevent flat spots.  They *should not*
be stacked horizontal nor should they be hung on tire trees as this
will either damage or deform the casing.

To minimize aging, tires should be stored in a cool, dry place (15-25
deg C / 60-80 deg F), away from heat sources. The tires should be
protected from oil, grease, paint, fuel and such, as well as, direct
sunlight and artificial light with a high UV-content.  Oxygen and ozone
are particular damaging to rubber. For that reason, the storage area
should be only moderately ventilated.

So there you have it, in plenty of time for the great winter-summer
tire change.

- -John
'96 318is

- --