Cylinder Head Question

Hello all,

I recently picked up an '84 318i locally that needed a little TLC and now I
could use some help. I pulled the head off this past weekend due to:

Tip # 1 I was getting that sweet smelling steam coming out of the tailpipe-and
Tip #2  Once I turned off the engine I could here a "sizzle" near the rear of
the engine
           most probably coolant hitting the exhaust.

If it means anything, the head gasket appears to look alright and at least
visibly the head doesn't appear to have any cracks. I'm thinking it may be
warped.
Now the question is- I plan on taking it to a shop locally to have it for
cracks and warpage-if it's cracked do I go with a new head or a rebuilt unit?
If it's warped can it successfully be machined straight (depending on the
severity of any warpage of course) Any suggestions and advice is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis