<e36> replacing rear shocks

my 95 318ti with 80k is due to have the rear shocks replaced, and  I'm
planning to upgrade to Bilstein HD shocks for a slightly stiffer ride.
My question is whether it's ok to replace the rear shocks with Bilsteins
without touching the front shocks (I eventually plan to replace those as
well).  My mechanic says this doesn't present a problem.  But, as
ignorant as I still am about my car (though trying to learn more) it
seems that this wouldn't be very good for handling.  Is it wise to
upgrade front and rear shocks independently, or should I just go ahead
and replace them all at once?  Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jack