Panel for space under OBC... / V1 (long)

Well after quite a bit of trial and error I have finally completed the
cover for the space under my OBC.  I guess I should give all of you a
little history on the project first, so here it goes... I decided to
mount the remote audio controller and concealed display units in the area
under the OBC.  The V1 is currently residing in my third brake light,
which makes it kind of hard to see and having to disassemble half of the
car to change the volume is quite a hassle, hence, the remote controls.
This puts the V1 out of sight, however, one can still see the remote
units.  I decided that it would be necessary to make some kind of cover
to keep them out of sight to others.  Here's how I did it:

I first constructed a panel out of bidirectional carbon fiber fabric, it
came out nice, but I didn't think that it fit in with the rest of my
car's decor (cheap plastic).  I decided on a more conventional approach.
Here's what you'll need:

1.  A piece of 1/8" (about 3mm) plywood (hobby store)
2. Two packages of rare earth magnets, two magnets in each package, very
strong (Radioshack)
3. Krazy glue or equivalent
4. Dremel Multipro or equivalent
5. Fine sand paper
6. Flat black spray paint

First cut a piece of wood to size which is 7 3/8x 2 5/8.  Then give the
piece a good sanding until it is nice and smooth and bevel the edges.
Next spray the panel a few times with the black spray paint (I probably
gave it four or five coats) until the grain of the wood is no longer
visible.  You then want to mount two of your magnets on the corners of
the rubber lining of the sun glass holder thing.  I used a drop of Krazy
glue to secure them in place. Take note of the distance from the edge and
up from the bottom so that you can bore corresponding holes into the back
of the panel that you are making in which to place the other two magnets.
 Using a Dremel or similar tool carefully bore a hole in to the back of
the plywood panel that is the same size as the magnet. Be careful not to
go through the other side. I suggest that you practice on a piece of
scrap wood before you try it on the panel that you are making.  Dry fit
the magnets and if they completely fit and are flush with the back
surface Krazy glue them into place. I gave it a final coat of paint after
I glued in the magnets in order to give it a nice finish on the back
side.  Well that's about it.  I'm quite sorry for the long post.  I just
hope that someone benefits from it. Good luck!

Take care,
Matthew Stellas
1995 318i
BMW CCA NJ
UUC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]