Supposed Racism

Hello people,

I think it's necessary that I clarify something. It seems that a few people
on the list have misunderstood something I wrote and think it's racist.
Well folks, you're wrong and it bugs me. Please allow me to elaborate on
things.

Here's what I wrote:

(BEGIN SNIPPET)
>Not having the patience to wait for a wheel, I ended up buying a rim at a
junkyard around here, for $75. Major muddy mess in the rain there. There
was a black guy getting the parts off outside in the mud and rain while the
white owner was joking about this nigger working on Martin Luther King Day.
(END SNIPPET)

Ok, why do you think it is racist that I wrote that?

Someone wrote to me privately and (I think) found that using the word
nigger is out of line.

I explained to him that I think using that word is not the same as calling
someone a nigger. Calling someone nigger is derogatory and I don't like it.
However, you may yourself have a dictionary that lists the word. That
doesn't mean your dictionary is a racist book.

I was a little shocked by what the junk yard man said. That's my usual
response when someone uses the word nigger casually.

I think the person who wrote me privately, found that I should not use the
word "nigger" at all on the list, not even in a quote. I disagree. I think
if you see injustice, it's a good thing to talk about it.

I quoted the man to tell you about this place, this situation. Sometimes
people say racist things. Should we really keep quiet about that?

Don Stevenson said I was obviously entertained by the junk yard man making
that joke. He reasoned I was entertained because I told you about it. Don,
does that mean that everything you tell on the list entertains you? I can
tell you that this crap doesn't entertain *me* at all. I don't like my name
being dragged through the mud.

Don, I think you're a white supremacist neo-nazi because you're obviously
delighted by calling people racists.

Now isn't that silly?

Jim Powell had an even stronger reaction to my post and he seems to think I
should be hanged.

I think it's important to realize that when someone describes a situation,
it doesn't necessarily mean the writer approves of it.

It's nice that you're strong against racism, but do so using your mind.
Think hard about things. Try to think independently, make up your own mind,
don't copy thoughts. And, dammit, don't let mere keywords trigger such
strong emotions.

There is a lot of ethnic separation in this country, which I think benefits
no one and I think this causes much of the inner city problems. Here's
something maybe you can work on instead of flying up in response to keywords.

Guys, I'm no racist. I probably have some xenophobia and I imagine the most
of you do too, but that's it. It does piss me off to be called a racist
though.

Now quit the bullshit, already. Use you brains.

Michiel
PS: you don't happen to be the guys who don't torque lug nuts, are you?

End of bmw-digest V9 #873