<2002> Questions, Several

Looking at a '75 2002, hopefully to buy my first BMW. (Now, my wife wants a
BMW (not ''75) to replace her minivan . . .

Back to the '02, several questions/prob.s:
1) Speedo swings wildly and reads +/- 3X actual speed and more.  Owner
converted it last year to automatic, and put 325? wheels on.  Suggestion on
whether this is common prob or related to the conversions?
2) Is automatic a practical conversion of '75 2002 with reference to rear-end
ratios?
3) Steering is incredibly difficult.  I drove a '59 Chevy Apache truck for
years, and it had much easier steering, in spite of big rims and tires.  Is it
likely they have tightened down on the steering gear excessively to reduce
front end play?
4) Why are relays recommended before horn or foglight wiring loads?  I had
always heard this about German cars, but never understood.

Thanks for the bandwith, and kudos to RWelty for supporting this medium.  TIA
for any input on these questions.

Jim Cocke
'90 Honda Civic
?'75 2002?