Re: Re: When to keep quiet (was about ABS Sensors) BA

>From: "Chief Goblin" <chief_goblin@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: When to keep quiet (was about ABS Sensors)
>
>Lets find out who is right.

Yes, lets !

>>A single "particle" weighing 0.01 GRAM can screw up the
>>ABS if it sticks between two teeth, changing the wheel
>>from X teeth to X-1 as far as the edge detector inside
>>the ABS software sees.
>
>What teetth?? Do you know how ABS sensor look?

Sorry mate, show me where the poster mentions the sensor ?  He
specifically states TEETH.  As you claim to have worked on a lot of ABS
systems, have you ever wondered how that magnetic sensor decides what
the wheel speed is ?  By reading the TEETH  in the hub as the hub
rotates.   Something, especially metallic, stuck between the teeth will
confuse the sensor, exactly as the above poster has described.

>>Now.. 4 wheels.. 3 at X teeth per second, one at less
>>WHOOPS it's SLIPPING.. (in Picard's voice) #1 ENGAGE (abs/ast/etc)

>What are you talking about??? Let me get my R2D2 for calculations :-))

He's talking about one wheel being read as travelling slower than the
other three and the resulting confusion from the ABS system. Perhaps you
should get that R2D2 unit out to explain things to you.

> I've dealt with fair amount of ABS Problems, 90% of all
> problems are due to faulty ABS Sensor.

Perhaps 70 percent.  Another 20% are due to corroded or clogged pulse
generating wheels on the hubs.

>"Cleaning sensor advise" wastes people's time.

Cleaning the sensor should be a side effect of cleaning the teeth in the
hub which can often solve an ABS problem.

>Mike

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you