re: Re: odometer device & diagnostic tools

Jason Dougherty wrote:
[...]
> Realistically, legitimate uses for an odometer programming tool
> come up so rarely that it's probably not cost-effective to buy one.
> However, it's very cost-effective for illegitimate uses.  Keeping this tool
> out of the hands of the general public is a good idea.

Here's another site for the tools: http://www.diasoft.com/ this site has
prices listed.

I had no idea this thing was so expensive! $4800-$6300 for the odometer
computer, $1999 for the diag software. I agree that the legitimate use
of the odometer computer can't be cost effective for the private
individual. The diag software is interesting, but still very pricey.

As to banning possession or import of the odometer computer though, I
have to wonder. Crooks are going to get one no matter what if they want
one. The mere possession of this device should not make you a criminal
any more than owning an AR-15 makes you a murderer. Speeding is illegal,
but all but DC and Virginia have repealed their radar detector laws. OK,
some detectors locate warning beacons, but really what is a detector's
purpose other than breaking the law? Why don't we ban the possession of
those? After all, rolling back your odometer is illegal whether you
legally or illegally possess this device - that doesn't change.

Imagine having a truckload of guns, ammo, fuel oil and fertilizer
(you're a rancher on your way back from a hunting trip) and being pulled
over and sent to prison for five years because you have an odometer
reprogrammer (you live in Montana, aren't near a dealer, and had
problems with your instrument cluster)? This isn't encryption software
or biological weapons we're talking about here. I hate to get all
Libertarian on the digest, but this seems a little excessive to me.

I can only guess that those laws were passed because the auto
manufacturers, not individual car buyers have the most to lose. What the
Big three and the imports could lose in warranty and lease costs with
odometers being rolled back was probably high enough to get them to
lobby for banning these devices. Just my guess though... and not really
very important since the thing is way too expensive anyway.
- --
Ron Katona