Re: odometer device & diagnostic tools

Brant M. Miller wrote:

>It would appear that our sick government has sunk to a new low.  If have
>followed the thread and read you correctly, ownership of a device that is=
>
>capable of performing an illegal act, but which a legitimate purpose, has=
>
>been made illegal.  That would be good precedent for making modified chip=
>
>ownership (unless certified for California), knife ownership, et cetera a=
>nausium, illegal.  Surely that can not be true.

<et cetera>

	If you follow the link that was posted,
http://www.megachip.de/en/index.html and read about the company's products,
you will see that there are two different tools.  One is just an odometer
programming device.  The other is the full diagnostic software package that
does all the other neat things.  It doesn't appear that the diagnostic
software can program odometers.  So you're in luck.  You can go out and get
yourself a nifty diagnostic system.  Probably only costs a grand.

	Realistically, legitimate uses for an odometer programming tool
come up so rarely that it's probably not cost-effective to buy one.
However, it's very cost-effective for illegitimate uses.  Keeping this tool
out of the hands of the general public is a good idea.

	Jason