Re: '86 535-Window seal replacement

Jerry Dormaier wrote:

>Dear autophiles:
>Does anyone out there have any experience with replacing the rubber
>seals that go between the side window glass and the bottom of the window
>on the doors?  Ya know, the squeegy like narrow pieces that run the
>complete width of the windows.  I have a couple of bad ones, have the
>replacements, but would like someone to give me some clues on how one
>goes about changing them.  TIA
>
>'86 BMW 535

Sorry for the late response on this.

I replaced both front window seals on my '86 528e last fall.  It's
a straight forward job - no special tools required.  All it takes is
time and patience.  I used the Bentley manual as a guide -- you DO have
the Bentley manual, don't you?  It took me about 90 minutes to do the
first window and maybe 30 minutes for the second, so you can see there's
a bit of a learning curve.  Follow the Bentley for how to take the door
apart and remove the window from the lift mechanism. My suggestions are
(1) make sure the new seal is fully seated in the window frame -- you
sort of have to stretch it to make sure there's no kinks in it, and (2)
it takes a bit of jockeying to get the window seated into the new seal
and secured in the lift mechanism.  Take your time, and be sure to check
and double-check that the everything's properly adjusted when you're done.

Good luck,

- -Chip Baines
'86 528e
'97 328iC