Loose Belts...

I had this problem for years with my old 72 tii. It turned out that the squeal
was a direct result of the aluminum mount's holes having become eliptical with
years of wear, allowing the alternator to cock slightly and vibrate no matter
how tight the mount was cranked.

I discovered this when I switched to a 73 motor which among other improvements
had a steel mount which bolted to the side of the block instead of being part
of the front cover.

I'm not sure about how the alt mounts on a non-tii '02, but take it off and
check for elongated mount holes if it does bolt to an aluminum bracket.

I know exactly the sound and it used to drive me crazy!

Good Luck,
Steve H
89 325iS (sometimes wonder if I would rather have my old tii...)
97 Dachshund (with wet belly due to me not mowing the lawn where he goes to
pee...and you think you have clearance problems...)