Need help with offset

     Hi all-

     Please forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to understand all the
     factors in selecting wheels that will fit on a given car. As far as I
     know, I need to take into consideration the following:

                1) wheel diameter (16", 17", etc...)
                2) wheel width (7, 7.5", etc.. - M3 uses wider on rear)
                3) offset (someone want to explain exactly what this is?)
                4) size of tire used (adjust accordingly to maintain diam.)
                5) brake clearance (mainly on M3 brakes)
                6) bolt pattern

     Am I missing anything?

     I read the recent messages by L. Marques and fitting 17" wheels to a
     328i. There was a followup about needing a steering limiter to keep
     the tires from rubbing the wheel well liners. There's obviously a lot
     more to it than just picking the diameter you want :)

     Thanks for any help,
     Devin
     BMWCCA, CT Valley Chapter

End of bmw-digest V9 #856