Re: <E30 M3>Can anyone point me to stock specs?

Hi Mark,

I'll take a shot at answering part of your question -- you'll have to turn
to somebody else for 0-60 times, etc, for the E30 M3 in its various
incarnations.

First, the clubracing web site is:
http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com

Go there to see what's up, and the current rules, etc.  All BMWs are
classified for club racing, and yes, there are E30 325is's.  Your comment
about not spending a whole lot of money until you decided that racing was
something you were into doesn't really match with the whole experience.
Given your statement, I'll assume that you don't have a current
competition license, and that you haven't been to any driver's schools.
In order to get licensed, you'll need to attend at least 8 days of
verifiable hgih-speed driver's schools, and get your doctor's blessing.
Then, since that will likely take you this year, let's talk about your car
preparation.

According to the proposed 1999 rules, you'll need a full roll cage next
year ($600-$3k+), even in stock.  Then, to be competitive, you'll nee4d
race tires (around $160 each for Hoosiers, on a good day), and new wheels
(figure at least $600 for a decent used set), then your driver's suit
($200-$1.5k+), gloves/helmet/balaclava/gloves/shoes/etc( $1k+), harness
($150+), fire extinguisher (halon ain't cheap).  So, about $3.5k to just
minimally qualify to put your car out on the track as a JS E30 M3 (not
counting the cost of yoru 8 days of driving school or the doctor's exam).
Of course, you'll come-in last with that 3.5k expenditure.  You'll want to
upgrade everything you can (see the rules), because everybody else has.

I know, I know, you don't *have* to be competitive, but after doing the
schools, and prepping the car, I'd bet it becomes inevitable that you
would want to be.

Just wanted to warn you that racing is expen$ive, and to seriously
consider if its really something you want to pursue before your take any
steps.  I decided its something I want to do...

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX

PS - Mid-Ohio has got to be one of the most interesting tracks in the
country.  You're lucky to be that close to it.  Why don't you check-out
some races there this year before you decide to take the plunge, and talk
to some local racers about their opinions....