E28 diff swap question

I know there has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic recently
but as I now have an opportunity to purchase a 3.73 differential I would
like to just confirm a few things:

Were all E30 325is's fitted with the limited slip version of the diff?
Were they all the 3.73 ratio?
If not, what diff markings can be used to verify gear ratio and locking
/ non locking versions?
The E30 diff will fit the E28's after swapping out the rear cover and
the wheel output flanges?

Thanks,

- --Jeff

BTW, to avoid wasting bandwidth in the future on these "already covered
topics"  what is the best way to search the digest archives?