<WOB> Overrev your M3 and rotating valves

> > burnt on the exhaust edge of the valve (they are still bent just
> > enough so they cannot rotate normally in the head).  A normal,
> unbent > valve will not have a burn area on it as it is continually
> rotating.
[snip]
> > Duane Collie
> > BFKAB
>
> Yeah.  I took my 535 into the dealer the other day and commented to
> them that I didn't think the valves were rotating enough.
[ more smartalecking snipped ]
> Andy Peavy
> email: apeavy@domain.elided

Due to the alignment of the rocker arm eccentric over the valves in my
2002, the thrust of valve opening also puts a rotational moment on the
valve stem, rotating the valve in its guide slightly.

I'm not sure how this works on a hydraulic-lifter'd E36 M3, but it is
reasonable to assume that it is engineered to do something similar.
So the valve is not just reciprocating, it's slowly rotating.

 - thi v.