Potential overrev

Michael Chiang asked:

<---------
Did I accidentally get 2nd and over revved my M3?
- ----------->
It sounds like you did.  The good news seems to be that you weren't
at redline in third when you did it.  If you did it at 75mph, as you stated,
I would expect that you hit around 9.3k.  (6.8 (redline in 2d) * 75/55
(speed at redline in 2d)) (all estimates from memory).  Folks that blow
up their engine with overrev are usually in 5th going to 4th and hit 2nd.
assuming that they attempt that downshift below redline in fourth, at
say, 100 mph, that would be 12.4k.

<------------------------
If so... what should I do?  If I can't seem to detect any
damage/anomalies... does that mean everything is okay??  Will/can engine
damage occur this way?
- -------------------->
Go to a good mechanic.  It is possible that you slightly bent a valve
and will trash your engine more by driving it more.

I feel like such an idiot.
Save that feeling for when you drive your M3 into high water during a
flood, and water starts squirting in around your door seals. :-(

Good luck,

John
98 ///M3-4 "Calypso"