Re: <E30> DIY Cold Air Intake Help???

Jeff,
I think we have all been in your shoes.  Wanting a bunch of power for cheap.
I don't think your K&N project is the right direction to go.  I didn't go look
at my wife's car (86 325es) but you didn't mention anything about the airflow
meter.  Were you thinking of eliminating that?  As others have suggested (me
too) get a Jim C. chip.  Your particular application has to be the most
dramatic before and after any chip can produce.  Get it from Turner (shameless
plug).
When you are bored with the chip, find your self a 3.25 rear diff, maybe a
3.45 and have fun again.  I think fellow digester Barry Robinson
(MrReeLiZm@domain.elided) has some diffs for good prices.  After that it gets
expensive.

Have fun,
Greg Gardea