'88 E28 Vent Flap Problem

I could use a little help from the collective before I dive in on this
one.

I'm having some ventilation problems in my 535i. There is always cold
air coming from the air conditioning intake, next to your knee, no
matter what position any of the sliders or the temperature range knob is
(a/c is off). In order to keep cold air from coming through the vents, I
must close them at the vent. The slider will stop most of the flow but
not all.

In addition, when the middle vent slider is towards the right (open), I
can hear a flap inside opening and closing non-stop
(click-flap-click-floop). It stops when the slider is moved to the left.
All other functions of the heating and ventilation system are working
perfectly.

It seems as though it is the fresh air potentiometer (per Bently's) that
is malfunctioning. Can anyone shed more light on this, and suggest a
solution, or is replacement the only answer?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Joel "Cold Right Knee" Marion

'68 2002, Headless
'78 Jeep Wagoneer, in for surgery