Re: Transporting Track Tires

At 12:55 AM 1/14/99 -0500, C. Craig Eller wrote:
>Several months ago, a very sharp digest member came up with a method of
>transporting track tires in the back seat of an E36.  He placed the
>tires vertically in the back seat and ran a cargo strap though the hubs
>to hold them. The cargo strap was attached to modified seat belt tongues
>that were simply snapped in the stock seat belt buckles at each end.  He
>provided part numbers for the seat belt tongues and described the
>materials he used in great detail.

I have a slightly modified version of this method.  I always bag my autox
tires in trash bags.  I fold down the rear seats and have the tires
vertically.  I have harness eyelets mounted on the underside of the rear
deck, and I run a tie down strap through the center of the tires with the
hooks anchored in the eyelets.  I run another tie down strap through the
center of the tires and around the front of the tires to keep them from
splaying.

I use this method for three 255/40/17 R1's and I put the fourth one in the
spare tire well.  That leaves the whole trunk open for all the other
autox/track stuff, and you can put a large motocross gear bag on each side
of the vertical tires.

I did 6K miles on the road last year traveling on the national autox
circuit  with my race tires, all my autox stuff, luggage, a passenger,
briefcases, and laptops comfortable packed in the M3.  Try doing that in an
M Coupe (Hi Mark and Josh  :-) .

Rex Tener
rex@domain.elided