Can't hold Idle

     I have a problem with my 97 328i a couple of days ago,
     I started the car up and everything was fine, backed out of the
     parking space and then as I lifted my foot off the clutch and gas the
     car stalled.  Thinking that this was a fluke, I tried to start the car
     up again and it wouldn't.  I tried this several times but the car did
     not hold the idle.  The only way I kept the idle up was to rev the
     engine at about 1500 rpm.  I drove the car home (I'm an expert heel
     and toe driver now!!).  Brought the car into the shop the next day,
     the check engine light came on that morning, nothing was found on the
     computer. Mechanic couldn't find the problem so he just adjusted the
     throttle cable.  It worked at the shop, but as I was driving home, I
     noticed that the tach would get stuck at 1500 rpm, and then fluctuate
     from 1500-300 rpm, and then eventually it would settle in the
     600-750rpm range. This doesn't sound right, the car never did this
     before. Does anyone know what could be the problem or has anyone else
     experienced this problem?? Is it dirty injectors, faulty icv.  Help,
     this annoyance is really annoying me!!

     Sorry if the message is long!!

     Teo