re: SuperSprint exhaust for 318i

Shaun Ledford wrote:
> Just ordered the above muffler ( Cat Back ). Has
> anyone installed the above, anything I should look
> out for.

It would help to know the year or at least chassis designation of your
car (E30 or E36). The Supersprints for the E36 318 (M42/44) that I've
seen are quite nicely made and sound wonderful. It replaces the wimpy
4-banger sound with a throaty but mellow baritone rumble. Installation
differs slightly on E30, E36, Z3, 318ti, so I won't comment other than
to say it's usually pretty easy. On my 318ti, it was a 30 minute job.

Look out for burning of the rear bumper cover if the exhaust tip touches
the cover during cornering. The tip is larger than stock and this is
fairly common on some models. Might have to reposition a hanger or
something.

> PS - Any ideas about performance.

If you're lucky, maybe 2 hp - probably 0. However, there is a
possibility of killing some much needed low end torque on these motors
with free flowing exhausts. Only with chips, cams, and maybe even some
porting work will you realize the benefit of the better high RPM
breathing on the M42/M44 motors with an aftermarket exhaust. Then it
might be worth 5+ hp over stock. Not a good performance for the $$
upgrade, but the stock exhausts on these cars have no soul.
- --
Ron Katona