Re: e28 improvement

> I have a virtually original e-28, 535i. I'd like to begin improving
> performance while keeping it streetable and minimizing down time, so no major
> rebuilds nor bodywork (has front dam). Wheels are metric, Lots of tread on the
> TRXs.  What I'm looking for is a plan of attack. What to do first....chip,
> suspension, header, exhaust, fluids???

My 635CSi is very similar to your car with the exception of
the euro engine. If I had to do it again I'd do it in this
order:

	Valet the interior, exterior and engine thourghly.
	Doing the engine will teach you what goes where.

	Change ALL the fluids but run some Techron through
	the fuel system before changing the oil. Be sure to
	use the correct final drive oil if you have LSD.

	Remove and clean the AFM, throttle butterfly and
	idle control valve. Fit new air filter if needed.

	Clean and check every electrical contact and fuse in sight!

	New Bosch Silber spark plugs. Check distributor cap
	and rotor, they wear quickly on these engines.

	Renew all the rubber fuel hoses, especially the one
	to the cold start valve. By now they will be cracked
	inside and about to leak.

	Do a track driving school.

	Jim C. chip, not available in a euro but gets good
	reviews for your car, cheap too.

	Fit front strut brace, makes a big difference on older
	BMWs especially if you later modify the suspension.

	PAGID fast road brake pads, but not until you need
	new ones anyway.

	Replace the TRXs with 16" wheels that don't look too
	modern and 225/50ZR16 tyres. Don't get directional
	ones if you lower the suspension as one shoulder
	will wear faster and you can't swap them over. May
	as well keep the TRXs until they wear down a bit more.

	Do a track driving school.

	Stiffer suspension that lowers no more than 30mm.
	Don't go to hard, many folk consider Bilstein
	overkill but that's up to personal preference. Mine
	is half way between stock and Bilstein.

	Short shifter.

	Euro bumpers. Look better, save weight.

	750iL lower thrust arm bushings.

	E32 front brake upgrade.

	Do a track driving school.

You'll notice I have done little to the engine. I honestly
doubt you'll see any real world benefits from anything other
than the chip and some will hurt driveability. The money is
better spent on suspension and brakes. Improve the car but
don't try to make it something it isn't. Have fun, the
E24/28 are the best BMWs ever made in my opinion.

You'll note most of the items are preventative maintenacne
rather than upgrades. When you start with something good
there is no point in spoiling it :-)

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!