Re: Lemon Executive cars?

Several people have posted comments about BMW Executive cars and lemons,
including me, but something popped into my little brain this morning.   If
a BMW employee is driving their car for a few months, then it is sold
through a dealer, has it ever been titled?    My guess is no, but if it has
been titled, then it would be to BMW NA, right?  So, do a title search!
Use the VIN and go to carfax or some such and search.  If it was titled to
Doughnut-Duane, then you may want to pass.

As for the lemons, I think most states require the manufacturer to declare
that the car was bought back under the lemon law.   But remember, more
often than not (esp. with marques like BMW) the manufacturer or dealer will
buy it back before the customer has to go to court.   I know, it's happened
to me twice.   So, an otherwise "lemon" is not labeled as such.    So what
do you do?   Call the previous owner and ask!   The dealership should tell
you who it is unless they bought the car at auction (which is another
tip-off that the original dealership didn't want it) and then you always
have carfax or similiar service.

When I buy used cars, I buy them very used, and have my certified BMW
technician check them out for me.   Yes, it costs me money up front, but
can save me much more down the road.   Many independent shops will do this.

Michael
E24 (used)
E28 (used)
E39 (new)