Re: Factory Demos

>> Subject: Re: "Factory demos"
>>
>> Recently, I visited my local stealer... I mean dealer, and I saw on the
lot a
>> car that the salesman called a "brass" car.  This did not refer to the
color,
>> but rather the fact that (according to the salesman) this car had
belonged to
>> BMWUSA for executive use and, after having been driven 8k miles, was
consigned
>> to the dealer for resale.  Does such a program exist or are these cars
really
>> lemons or something?

<laughing>

Now while ya'll are condsidering a 'factory demo', keep in mind that covers
a LOT of cars.  I imagine the new M Coupes that were 'broken in' at ///M day
by Hans Stuck, Dieter Quester, Boris Said and Bill Auberlen along with 200
rabid Bimwads on the autocross course were probably not thrown in the
dumpster at the end of the day, eh?  Or how about that those "Drive for the
Cure Cars"...the ones that you take out and do donuts in the parking lot
with 3 miles from the dealership (740's are not very good at this, BTW - ask
me how I know)......Or there's that new ///M Roadster they brought out at
PizzaFest I Autocross for Klaus Schnitzer to photo shoot while Gary Bossert
REALLY put it though its paces...Wow!!!  Gary can REALLY drive that thang.

All the above...."Executive Driven".

Also falling under this plan are cars that have been rejected by the
customer at the dealership or Port of Entry for in-transit damage from
Germany, bad paint, lemon law returns, etc.  This is a catch-all category
for sure.  Think about all the things that could happen to a new car getting
from Germany to the U.S.  Think about all the new cars they have to replace
for complaining BMW customers.  They don't crush those problem cars now, do
they?

BMW has a limited history of every car they make in its database.  You can
call BMWNA with the VIN number and get some of that history before you buy
one of these 'factory demos'. They will disclose documented defects if you
ask and they meet certain thresholds (damages over a certain amount, etc.).

Personally, I'd not touch 'em unless they were very steeply discounted.
I'll take my new cars with 4 to 6 miles on the odometer, please.

Duane Collie
BFKAB