E36 325is engine won't start

Hey guys,

I went out to run an errand yesterday morning and my '95 325is refused to start.
It was about 30 degrees  F out. I have about a third of a tank of gas, which I
had been using since I filled up week earlier. The starter turned over at what
seemed like normal speed to me, and the engine would "sputter" for about half a
second but not "catch." I removed the (original) battery and took it to Sears to
have it tested, mostly because I couldn't think of other things that I could
check on a Sunday in VA. The battery checked out fine. I don't hear the fuel
pump running, but am not sure if I ever did on this car. Can someone suggest a
few other things to check before I call the dealer? Reply in private if you
think it is more appropriate.

TIA,

Tom