RE: <DIGEST> Digest acces

The single email message you receive is the digest of the BMW list.  It
periodically puts all the individual messages that have been sent to
bmw@domain.elided, which is the mailing list itself, together into one
message for summary purposes.  No matter how you decide to receive the
list's messages, whether in digest form or in separate messages, you can
only view them in email form. One address is bmw@domain.elided and the
other is bmw-digest@domain.elided.  The process for subscribing to either
one of them is outlined at /bmw.  At this site, you
will also find archives of past messages sent to the lists.  Some of
these have search capabilities.

While email messages and news group postings are very similar in
structure, there are some slight differences.  The headers of each
message are not of the exact same format.  Headers precede every email
message and news group posting and contain the critical information
needed for delivery or proper posting.  Another difference is, when you
send out an email or news post, email messages are sent to port 25 of
the server that will eventually process the message.  For news postings,
messages are processed through port 119.  When you read an email
message, your request goes to port 110 to retrieve the message.  When
you read news your connection request to the server is at port 119.  The
server software for both is also different.  What this means is that the
servers you connect to for news or mail are handled through distinctly
different ports as well as different server software processes.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Mark Colasante
NetExpress, Inc.
Columbus, OH
90 325iC