<E30> heater hose replacement questions

Folks,

      Ok, so I'm replacing all the hoses on my 90 325i.  I discover there is
what appears to be a thermostat installed in line with the lower hose.
Additionally there is a little hose that runs from the thermostat into a "T"
installed in the upper hose.     So....  I peruse the service records that
came with the car and notice there was a cooling system recall.   I'm
guessing installing the thermostat was the main purpose of the recall.  Am I
right?    It would function just like the valve in my 02,  right?   What was
it meant to correct?  And lastly,  what bad things are gonna happen if I
leave it out?

Greg Kauffman
1974 Tii
1990 325i