Re: coolant temperture question

I drive a 94 325is and live in SC.  S C does not have very cold winters and
I have what is likely a simple question. This afternoon I took a 175 mile
round trip in order to pick up my step son.  Air temp was around 40 and
fell to low 30's after sun dropped.  With speeds on interstate of 70-80mph
my temp gauge never climbed above half way between cold and normal temp.
(the cold air coming thur radiator at speed).  Also not enough heat was
getting to my feet.  Upon stopping to refuel and letting car idle for 5+/-
minutes she soon returned to normal temp, however soon dropped again after
resuming speed.  Is there a short term fix for people in mild climates with
not many cold days?  I presume a different thermostat would solve this
problem for colder climates but is it practical for milder regions?

thanks   jim