Re: 1999 Detroit Auto Show

Just a few comments on the show.  I went on Thursday (supplier day), and
the Ferrari display was open.  They even had two cars open, an F-355 and a
456 GTA.  This was the first time EVER that I've seen the velvet ropes open
at the Ferrari display (at the Chicago and Detroit shows), let alone the
actual cars.  Kudos to Ferrari.  When I got in the 456, the first thing I
noticed was a life-saver stuck to the gorgeous leather.  I wonder why they
usually keep the cars off limits?  The BMW display had lots of those trucks
(locked), and one M5 (locked).  Raspberries for BMW.  Looked at the 540
touring - planning a family, and dread the thought of a minivan.  It is
very nice, but I was expecting a lot more cargo room.  It doesn't look to
hold more than the trunk on my 3.

As for Scott Olsen's comment on the lack of "exotics", I think it was about
par for the course.  Lamborghini and Ferrari were there, even though there
is no logical reason for them to attend. I think there was even a Panoz
display downstairs.  I'm glad Lotus wasn't there to tease me with an Elise
that they aren't selling in the U.S. - don't come back without it, and hope
to see you next year!  I got a close up look at the Stewart-Ford F-1 car
that was stuck to the wall - where else could you do that?  Concepts may
seem a little sparse because about half of them were trucks.  Many more
exciting vehicles are missing because they aren't sold in the U.S.
All-in-all, I didn't think it was that bad.  It even seems that Cadillac
has realized that FWD is for competing with Neon's and Tercel's, not BMW's
and Mercedes

P.S.  If you get a chance to visit the show on supplier or press day, take
it.  It's a lot less crowded, and the displays are generally more
accessible.  Once you get around the crowds of engineers with tape
measures.