<E28> glove box handle broken (again)

Hi, Ben.

Bummer.  What I have had happen is the 'thingie' that sticks out
of the pivoting assy on the back of the handle itself breaks off.
The 'thingie' used to engage a slide mechanism that retracts the
two 'claws' that stick out sideways to actually provide the
latching action.

When this was the case for me, I was able to weasle a small flat-
bladed screwdriver between the top of the glovebox and the lower
edge of the dash and depress the 'claws' directly.  OK, I did leave
marks, but they are covered up when the glovebox is closed.  If
you pull the three 7mm (weird, but true) sheet metal screws on
the hinge of the box, I can't envision how that would help you.

If _your_ thingie is broken, please note that it is just a piece
of cast pot metal; rather subject to fatigue.  So, don't use a
used one, which has had X number of the Y number of cycles in
it's life already used up, since Y - X could be small (i.e. the
used one will break in exactly the same way, prolly _soon_!).

Have fun!  Larry F.

PS:  Sorry for the use of complex technical terms  ;~)

>Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:44:44 -0500
>From: ben keyes <bkeyes1@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E28> glove box handle broken
>
>Must have been the cold or hte fact that the car is 12 years old, but my
>glove box handle seems to have busted.
>
>The handle moves fine but does not open the glove box.  I can hear what
>sounds like little plastic bits rattling around inside, which I suspect
>are the important parts that would normally open the latch.
>
>Assume I can just take the glove box off somehow from underneath, then
>replace the handle mechanism.  How do I do this ??
>

>Ben Keyes
>E28 M5

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington