Re: Modifying license plates

Barry Robinson, fellow LA Chapter member, asks in V9 #803:

>  Hello digesters, I was wondering if it is illegal to modify license plates
> in
>  any way.  I've seen plates that have had the letters and numbers painted
>  black, and front plates that have been cut so that only the letters and
>  numbers are showing.  I prefer not having a front plate at all but I don't
>  want to give cops more excuses to pull me over.  Thanks.

First, the reference source.  One of the best deals going at the California
DMV is the complete ~1500 page copy of the California Vehicle Code that
they'll sell you for a few bucks.  Mine's a few years old now, but I think it
cost like $3.00.  Of course it's all available online these days too, but the
book is a handy reference as well.

A quick glance reveals two relative California Vehicle Codes:

CVC 4463, though presumably intended to primarily address the intentional
falsification of registration information, defines it to be a *felony* to
alter license plates.  Though it would indeed be an extremely strict
interpretation of the code as written to charge one who has simply trimmed the
edges of their license plate with a felony, it is a possibility.  It should be
considered that this code might also suggest that a plate altered in any way
is probable cause for a traffic stop.

CVC 4852, perhaps more to the point, defines that "License plates issued for
motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, shall be rectangular in shape, 12
inches in length and six inches in width."

We've seen the "Front License Plate Mounting - Should I or Shouldn't I?"
thread in this forum a hundred times if we've seen it once, but since we're on
the topic I'll once again state that I keep my vehicles' front plates under
their respective driver's seats where they belong (even if it means the rare
trip to the issuing agency's inspection station to eradicate a fix-it ticket).

One time a year or two ago I had to make just such a trip and the CHP officer,
who could clearly see my vehicle with it's front plate displayed from behind
his desk, actually walked outside to look at the rear of the vehicle to insure
that I hadn't just moved the rear plate to the front for the inspection.  When
I laughed, he matter-of-factly said "We see it all".

Gerry O'Connor
Manhattan Beach, CA
'88 535is / '83 633CSi / '72 2002 tii
BMW CCA - LA  /  NMA  /  SAE