k/n dyno run

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>Subject: K&N Filters - Are they good?

OK, I have a simple question.  Is there scientific proof that a K&N air
filter improves performance in a basically normal (unmodified) engine?
What about in an engine that has been chipped with a plain over the count=
er
performance chip?<

variables
with an MR2.  Not a good subject , but interesting results
1. test with K/n cone filter    103hp
2 test with k/n cone filter and eRAM   104hp
3 test with no cone filter and eram       104 Hp identical run almost
4.  test with no con filter and eram but use a SEPARTATE Batter power , n=
ot
alternator    104.5hp to 104hp
5. put on stock air box with k/n stock replacement filter   106hp
6.  put eRAM to blow in stock air box  with filter       107
7  put eRAM to blow in stock air box and remove filter 107

I dont know what happened here, but the MR2 doesnt seem to respond to fre=
air flow, as the biggest gainer
was the stock air box vs the k/n.  (sounds backward) and the eRAM only
added, a hp or so, but it was over the entire
HP curve.    Maybe this car wasnt able to adjust fuel for increased air
flow.  Hmmmmm =

maybe not a good test, but we are testing everything.
Honda was up 5%
porsche 928 up 5%
toyota mr2 1991  up 1%
porsche  911 today
bmw next week

summary, Im up in the air when it comes to air flow.  it seems that each
cars design can respond differently to flow changes.
You have to try it and dyno it to know , on your car.  =

However, it was good to see that the current draw on the electrical syste=
of 30 amps barely effected HP ( 1/2 hp max)

Mark