<WTB> Baby is coming!!! Looking for a car. (BMW of course)

My family is growing.  We are expecting a newborn in June.  It is time to
get a second vehicle.  The first one - 533i.  I would prefer 4-door - baby
transportation and all.  5-speed only, please.  Our budget is around $3000.
Reliability is more important than high performance - something like 528e
(even though it has timing belt).  Of course we will gladly take any other
5-series if we can afford it.  4-door 3-series would also work for us.  I do
general maintenance on my cars - fluids, filters, belts, brakes, etc.  I
would prefer do not worry about rebuilding engine, drive line, and AC.  Good
maintenance history is more important that appearance of the car.  I live in
San Francisco Bay Area and prefer to buy California car - from what I heard
it is very difficult to register out of state car in California.  Am I
wrong?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Sasha.
Richmond, CA