Re: <E24/E28> suspension

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 Mat635@domain.elided wrote:
	<snip of stuff that I generally agree with...>

> You can always add swaybars after you have done camber adjustments and stiffer
> springs. Swaybars are merely a band-aid handling part. You should tune the

Matt, I'll bet you just knew somebody would object when you wrote that
band-aid sentence, didn't you? :=).

Sway bars are an integral part of a car's suspension whose primary purpose
is to help transfer load from the load-bearing corners (e.g. the right
side in a left-hand turn) to the non-load bearing corners when there is a
differential load being applied (e.g. while turning).

With correct swaybars, you can get away with lower spring rates and still
have minimal (no) body roll, thereby increasing your car's suspension's
ability to do its job.  Stiffer, while generally a good thing, is not
always the fastest way around a track (however, its probably safe to say
that "stiffer than stock will always be faster").

In the same way, mondo 40mm swaybars are not the answer, either.  Its all
a matter of getting the right combination, for the right application,
together.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX