Re: <E24/E28> suspension

Jerry B. writes:

<<I'm considering a used E28 Hartge H5SP suspension setup (springs,
struts/shocks, sway bars) for my E24. Since the E24 is based on the E28,
it seems this may work, but I thought I'd run it past the group. Any
experience in this area?

And while I'm at it, does anyone have experience with the Hartge setup?
I'm looking for less understeer and body roll than my current Dinan
Stage 1. The set in question reportedly came off the car at 60K miles,
and is in excellent condition. >>

Hi Jerry,

If you have the Dinan Stage I setup, all you need to decrease understeer is
some front camber plates. I would recommend the factory BMW camber corrective
mounts, they give you +/- .5 degrees. It is enough to make a significant
handling difference at the track and auto-x, but not totally destroy the
inside of your front tires. It was the best single upgrade I have done to my
E30 (haven't done it yet to either of my E12 based E24's though).

If your Dinan suspension has less than 50K on it, I would leave it alone. I
also wouldn't recommend buying a used suspension with 60k on it........unless
it was _dirt_ cheap (ie $200 tops). The only parts of that Hartge suspension
that won't be showing their age are the swaybars and even then you will want
to freshen them up with new bushings.

If you really must have less bodyroll, your ride quality is going to decrease
significantly. I would recommend H&R springs and stay with your current shocks
if they are <50k or so miles (if not, get some Bilstein sports).

You can always add swaybars after you have done camber adjustments and stiffer
springs. Swaybars are merely a band-aid handling part. You should tune the
handling with the above and if needed, tune the car with some adjustable
swaybars.

Good luck!

Matt Meakin
#121191
Tarheel Chapter / SCCA / ISOP
'88 325iS (club racer under construction)
'79 635CSi euro (my baby)
'79 635CSi euro (faaaaast daily driver)

End of bmw-digest V9 #798