<e34> 535i 16" Tire Size?

> > I am planning on purchasing the new 740 (stock mesh type) wheels and
> > will need to be buying some new tires as well so what do you think?
>
> I think the E38 7 series wheels will not fit on your E34 5 series ;)  The
> offset is only 3mm closer to the strut housing, but the rim is also 8" wide
> remember.  We tried to fit these on an E32 7 series when they first came out...
> the rim by itself rubs the strut housing.  I'd think twice about spending that
> money on wheels that aren't going to fit ;)  Good luck.

I'm using E38 16x8 radial gazillion spokes on my E34 - I really like the
16's over 17's (too harsh) and the 15's (now on for winter).  On tires,
I use 225/55-16's SP8000's which are just a touch taller than stock but
still fit in the spare tire well - you can also go 225/50-16 for more
responsiveness and a little lower gearing.

On the wheels, it's true the offset is not good (I was told it was OK
when I bought the take-offs).  On the rear, everything works OK.  On the
front, I had to use a 1/8" spacer.  This still allows hubcentric to
center (just barely) but you MUST get slightly longer lugs.  No E34 16"
factory wheels are sold (only 17's) and so E38's are your best factory
option other than E31's which I think should fit w/o spacers (but are
harder to find).

Kurt
'92 E34 M50 5sp