Re: BMW winter storage

I store my 944 turbo over the winter, so I'll add my $.02:

Definitely want to use fuel stabilizer, Sta-bil seems to be the brand of
choice, I haven't heard of any problems with injectors.  Without it the gas
will age/degrade and gum up the fuel system.  I also try to run the car
10-20 miles after adding the stabilizer to get it into the whole fuel
system.
I pump up the tires to 40-44 psi but I don't move the car back and forth at
all.
I change the oil just before storing, again driving the car some to
distribute the fresh oil throughout the engine.  Used oil is corrosive,
thus the need to change it.  I don't change it in the spring, I treat it as
freshly changed, ready to go for the first driving event.
And I do remove the battery and although I don't charge it over the winter
its probably a good idea.

Mark Kittock
'96 328i sport BMWCCA
'86 944 turbo
'97 Contour SE

- ----------

> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:34:23 -0600
> From: Michael_Bird@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: BMW winter storage
>
> Brian A. Sanniola asked about storing his BMW for the winter.   He didn't
> specify which model.   I'm just curious which one he won't drive in the
> snow.   Anyway, I have a Corvette, yeah, go ahead and flame me, but
> apparently your typical Corvette owner doesn't drive his car in the
winter
> (although I do) so the factory owner's manual actually has a section on
> storing the car.
>
> Chevrolet, one of the top 50 auto manufacturers in the world, recommends
> that you do everything that Brian described and also remove the spark
plugs
> and squirt some oil in the cylinders.    Then, before starting the engine
> in the spring, you should change the oil again to remove the water
brought
> on by condensation.   I think they said that.  Well, I said that, anyway.
> And I would also suggest using gasoline stabilizer unless someone knows
for
> a fact that it will damage injectors.
>
> And personally, I think I would disconnect and remove the battery.   Your
> SI board will probably forget what it was doing, but wouldn't that be
like
> a reset?
>
> Michael
> 633, M5, 528, R1100RT and the great American sportscar.

End of bmw-digest V9 #797