answers to John Fagerlund's questions

John Fagerlund asked:

>I too wonder why some of the police where I live don't use turn indicators
>run lights >as they turn red, don't turn on head lights at dusk or when it
>starts to rain.

Because we are working a computer, talking on the radio, listening to other
channels and writing stuff down-all while we drive. You'd be amazed how
many times I have had a ride-along that says, "how do you do all that stuff
and still drive?" Of course I tell them I'm just happy I don't hit anything.

>I generally support my local police and they do a great job, but when it
>comes to >some of their driving practices, they need some training.  I
>believe they should teach >by example.

Go on a ride-along.  Although I try to maintain that higher standard,
because not doing so gives people something to point to and say "look what
he is doing wrong", it's not always practical or convienient because my
hands are already occupied.  And because I know this comment is coming, I
occasionally do pull over if I have to write some officer saftey or missing
child at risk or some other high priority broadcast that will take more
than a couple of lines.  Look at how many people crash because they were
talking on their cell phone.  Thats just ONE other thing, I'm doing three
other things.

>And, why don't people who impead traffic on the freeways by driving way too
>slow in the left lanes get pulled over????

Sometimes I do, but guess what?  You think people get pissed because they
get stopped for going too fast?  Oh man!  Stop them for going too slow and
it seems like all bets are off.  Especially if they are driving the posted
limit.  Even though I personally agree that if an individual wishes to
speed no one should stand in their way, the reality is I simply CAN'T stop
someone for driving the limit in the fast lane because other people want to
speed.  Of course if you ARE driving less than the limit in the fast lane,
your butt gets stopped!  ;o)

Then again, I don't spend that much time on the freeway anyhow....

John

End of bmw-digest V9 #793