weird '88 325is

My 1988 325is (prod. 04/88) has some things that I've never seen on
another one before.  First, it came with a Blaupunkt Bremen head unit
that uses the goofy factory wiring (i.e., used the external fader,
had only one wire per channel (+), etc..).  This head unit can't be
used in any other car but the ones with that wiring scheme.  Second,
it came with a factory emergency triangle in a hard blue case (in
german), an emergency medical kit (in german, required for german
safety inspection), and a little booklet which is in a bag that
explains some parts of the car (didn't open the bag, was obviously
original) this was also in german.  When i bought the car in '96, i
wanted to have a spare key made for it.  My local shop took the VIN,
and called the BMW dealer to have a key cut.  They said that my VIN
didn't exist!  After repeated attempts (the guy took my VIN several
times to make sure), they finally sent out a key.  This ordeal lasted
a couple of weeks.  They even suggested that my car was stolen before
finally finding my VIN.  Next, I called BMW NA a while back to find
out any recall info on the car.  I gave them the VIN, and once again
they had no record of it.  The person told me that my car had never
been registered with BMW NA.  I went through the proper steps and now
it's registered, but I'm still wondering what the deal is.  Also,
Carfax has no record of my car before 1993.  I'm guessing that my car
was originally bought by a G.I. in germany, who drove it there for a
while, then shipped it over here when he came back.  Do any of you
have any idea what it could be??

Thanks,

jason mccowan
NCC