Re: '88 535i (someone's been hitting the crackpipe)

At 10:26 AM 1/5/99 -0500, JC responded:
>> In regards to an '88 535i with a production date of 05/87, is there a
>> "Check Engine" dummy light that is suppose to initially light up with all
>> the other dummy lights?
>
> NO!
>
>> The Bentley states that '88 E28's have the
>> light and my local smog shop wouldn't pass the car due to the "Check
>> Engine" light being inoperable.
>
> If you "smog shop" doesn't know that the 88 535i doesn't have one,
> then I suggest finding a new one..
>
> Simple!
>
> 1984-1988 535i's are Adaptive, using the 059 DME.. no diagnostics
> and NO CHECK ENGINE light!

He's right.  My smog shop almost didn't pass me too because of the same
problem.  I ended up arguing my way into getting it okayed but only after
talking to the shop owner who knew I was pretty versed in my car.  The
sticking point is that in the dash there is a spot that says "Check
Engine".  You can only see it in a certain light, but this bozo (who wanted
to fail me) wouldn't that I had never seen the thing light and I was pretty
sure it wasn't supposed too.

Although I guess I should have expected it when he said, as I drove up
"Listen to that thing.  It can't be legal" because of the idle and the
Tri-flows.

Oh well.  That's why we have the Digest.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii

End of bmw-digest V9 #787