E28 Shock/Spring Life?

Greetings all:

Happy New Year from Oakland, where Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown has just been sworn
as our mayor (!).   It's OK, really.

Anyway, all this talk about E28 shock/spring combo's got me thinking.  I know
there are variables, but I am wondering what the life of stock springs might
be.  I am certain mine are near dead at 129k miles.

The Bilstein HD shocks were installed about 50k miles ago, when I bought the
car. (Yikes).  I'm trying to determine whether they too need replacement.  And
what of Bilstein's lifetime warranty?  Must there be a mechanical failure, or
is it enough that they lose their dampening capabilities?

Peace

Bill McMahon
Oakland, CA
'79 323i with 2.7 and stuff
'87 535is (recently rated "excellent" by insurance adjuster - woo hoo!)
'62 Ford F100 Styleside longbed - ya gotta see it to love it