Re: Battery Backup BA

>From: "Duane Collie" <drcollie@domain.elided>
>Subject: Battery Backup
>
>>  If the battery in your car is removed,
>>is there a back-up power source to maintain the time and date or does
it
>>have to be reset?  I am not sure of this one, I have not had any
reason to
>>pull my battery yet.
>>John Fagerlund
>
>John,
>
>You can get a small 9V battery-powered adaptor that you plug into the
cig.
>lighter to maintain the memory while the battery is out.  Try Imparts,
>Griots, or maybe Steve D'G has some.  Not expensive.
>
>Duane Collie

Hey Duangerous, make sure the one you buy has a diode inline !
I've come across three of these units in recent history that have no
diode.  Guess what happens to a 9 volt battery when you start feeding 12
volts into it.  Not a problem over  a period of minutes, but god help
your leather interior if you forget about it for an hour or so......

Oh, and to actually answer Johns question ;-) No John, there is no
backup to save your radio code or clock settings.   Service information
lights and odometer, however, do not lose their memory.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta